Saturday, May 7, 2011

Furniture

Furniture Store on Lawrence, Chicago, January '11
I visited Chicago in January. I was long overdue to visit the friends who had sent me off two years ago, when my life was quite different.

The last weekend I had been there, I had wandered around on the North Side, near this location. It was September 2008 and very rainy.

It was cold and a clear blue sky made this store especially attractive looking to me. I noticed it when Mom dropped me off at Paul and Christine's house on Foster. I had flown into Milwaukee, spending a night with my parents in their new home in Mequon. 

Mom, in her infinite generosity, decided to drive me all the way to Paul's instead of what was first the Downtown Milwaukee Amtrak, which became the Kenosha Metra, and finally ended on Foster. On the drive between the Edens and Paul's, I spotted this sign and knew I should return to get a pic of it.  I finally did so fairly late the same day.

The polarizing filter made the sky dramatic. I also lined up the camera frame with the text, rather than orienting it vertically with the ground like I normally would have.

1 comment: