Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Bike to Work Day

Today is the widely celebrated and participated-in Bike to Work Day. From what I can tell, this is a worldwide event that happens on or around today. I will celebrate by... commuting on my bicycle (much like yesterday, the day before, etc.).

And there will be a few events around town by which to celebrate. After I post this, I'll stop at a refueling station sponsored mostly by the SF Bike Coalition and corporate sponsors. I'm sure I'll encounter many bikers dressed for the occasion. A BBQ is being thrown for bike commuters in all the Presidio businesses at lunch; after the ride home, there will be an after party, and after that, more is being planned...not sure if I'll have the energy to participate in all this. I'm taking it one pedal at a time (not petal, as in the last post), and hopefully all of us will get where we're going safely. 

Sporgasse bikes, Graz, 2004.


Today's pic comes from Graz, Austria. The Sporgasse is a famous shopping street. I wasn't as active of a cyclist when I took this in 2004, but did appreciate the beauty of two bikes resting lazily on a busy pedestrian street. As awesome as SF is, you'd never see this here today. I guess there's a fierce bike parts/drug/sex trade market here. I have no idea how one would verify that -- not eager to learn either; I just lock everything I can.

Bike to work today, or give the thumbs-up to a bike commuter. They are (most likely) making a conscious choice to improve the air we all breathe. For those who no longer work, I hope today's a good day for a ride where you are too.

No comments:

Post a Comment