Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The Birds

U.S. Bank Birds, San Francisco, 2011.
Later tonight, if there's time, I'm watching The Birds, the Hitchcock film. I feel like this is a film I should know well because of my obsession with actual birds. Also, last weekend I drove with Catey through Bodega Bay, where a sign at a local hotel/restaurant had a sign displaying that Tippi Hedren was there over the weekend.

Today, I did some birding for a purpose. I wanted to photograph the male and female lazuli buntings that have been reported in the Presidio. I took photos (I'll upload them tomorrow) of both male and female... and the female was carrying grass (aka "nesting material") in her bill. For an ornithologist, this is exciting because it indicates they are breeding. From what I have heard, they've always been suspected, but not confirmed, to breed in the Presidio. This almost cinches it, but it will be interesting to keep watching in the next few weeks as they hopefully lay eggs, which will then hatch and fledge.

The eagle pattern on the building of my bank in the Mission is awesome, isn't it? From afar, it just looks like a typical grid. But, it's the eagle that forms the shape of the logo of U.S. Bank. I don't know whether that was intentional, but I assume so. Either way, it's a very organized flock of eagles -- only Escher could have done better.

1 comment:

  1. Here's the album of photos from birding at Inspiration Point in the Presidio that day, including the Lazuli photos.

    https://picasaweb.google.com/phillipssteve1/InspirationPointBirds5_31_11#

    ReplyDelete