Monday, June 13, 2011

American Eagle

I haven't taken many pictures of graffiti, but the detailed and humanistic, determined eye of this bird on the side of a boxcar struck me. I am calling it an eagle, but it could just as well be a determined crow. In fact, an eagle's bill would be more hook-shaped at the end for tearing apart flesh. This bird's bill would not have that capability. It would be pretty good at pecking stuff, like tearing apart rotten wood for grubs and stuff, but this is no flesh eater.
Boxcar Bird, Burnham, Illinois, 2007.
This was on the side of a stationary boxcar on the edge of a prairie in southern Cook County, Illlinois. It was a frustrating day on which I took pictures of flowers too. The goal of the day was to conduct a plant survey of all things growing in a wonderful remnant prairie in an odd location. Thanks to challenging weather, a late start, vague directions to the location, and motivational issues, no plant data was submitted. But, I saw this boxcar.
Is this the representation of the artist's self-image? Homage to birds everywhere? General patriotic urban imagery? Also -- I shot this photo South of Chicago -- but where was it created? Will the artist ever see it again? Will he or she ever have dreamed that you would be looking at it right now?
I just returned from a brief American voyage by air. I had the pleasure of hearing freight trains as I slept outside three nights ago in rural Ohio. Before that, I was in Atlanta visiting my friend Scott, who mentioned to me, at one point, that Atlanta (posts forthcoming) is big on its railroad pride.  Between the sounds, the history, and the spirit of travel represented by a bird, I post this today.

No comments:

Post a Comment