Thursday, June 16, 2011

After my own heart

Bags on the Clothesline, San Francisco, 2011.

I think it says something about a person who uses a clothesline to dry their clothes. Since growing up, I learned the clothesline is a resource that should be used whenever possible.  The downside can be crispy towels, or the occasional quitter clothespin that drops its pant leg. But the benefits? Reduced energy, great-smelling clothes, longer-lasting clothes, and the simple pleasure of not rushing through something for a change.

It's also telling when a person reuses plastic bags. A person who does this cares about reducing waste to a point that few have reached. A college friend named Barb taught me that the secret is to turn them inside out before washing them. I now have my own methods down for this. I generally hang them somewhere inside, or put a tall object in the silverware bin, like a wooden spoon, and hang bags individually on them. 

So this person, whom I haven't yet met, uses the clothesline to dry their plastic bags! I think they're trying to get my attention.

3 comments:

  1. In case you haven't seen this:

    http://www.gaiam.com/product/countertop+bag+dryer.do

    I don't have one; seems strange to need a utensil used just for bag-drying (also not nearly as artistic as the display in your photo). However, it might beat having ziplocs all over your kitchen counter, which is my current dilemma.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah -- a pretty good idea, but yeah, I agree that it seems a bit much to have a utensil dedicated to that task. Don't get me started on all the products available to make you more sustainable... =)

    Catey uses a hanging fruit basket with clips on the bottom basket for bag hanging. Pretty smart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why thank you. I've considered rigging an indoor clothesline to dry my clothes too.

    ReplyDelete