Monday, June 27, 2011

American Eagle II

Thunderbird, Sebastopol, CA, 2011.
This icon, this logo of APL freight lines, grabs my eye. I have always been drawn to the simple lines, the representation of the iconic Thunderbird, the American Eagle. There are many versions of this, but this one has always been my favorite. Trucks on the highway; shipping containers charging into the San Francisco Bay on huge ships from China; they always stand out to me when they carry this logo.

The Thunderbird, in Native American culture, shoots lightning bolts out of its eyes.  The legends are varied and deeply infused in the culture of many North American indigenous peoples. I am a bit disappointed in myself for liking this particular one, a westernized version of a legend turned into a corporate logo. Yet I do.

I love storms. I get a thrill from thunder that claps simultaneously with a nearby flash. I also dig birds a lot. I once had the nickname "American Eagle" because my friend Andy thought I resembled the Muppet Show character. If I ever dye my skin with a tattoo, it will be this, across my upper back. Maybe his head will poke up above my collar.

This shipping container sits behind a large pet food supply store in Sebastopol. This was another case of stopping for one photograph (forthcoming) and finding something more awesome. [Insert philosophical comment here.]

To have your eyes opened to the ongoing Native American struggle, check out my college ultimate teammate's TED Talk.  15 minutes and powerful.

No comments:

Post a Comment