Thursday, August 4, 2011

Survey Says?

Community Voting, Atlanta, 2011.
I saw this outside of a gas station in Atlanta back in June. I was in town to visit Scott while stopping through town on the way to Poultry Days. Since I was flying AirTran from SFO to Dayton, I figured, why not make the layover 30 hours instead of 3?

I hadn't ever been in Atlanta except for the airport. It was a great visit. The aforementioned Whole Foods visit may have been a bit disheartening, but I did see aspects of the city that made it feel alive with the right kind of life -- positive, creative, harmonious. I did have a few experiences that led me to think that things are still very racially divided down there. But there has to be hope, and this telephone pole, of all things, created some for me.

Not only do I like this system of community organization, I like the outcome of the vote. And I like that it wasn't defaced by the time I saw it. If six "yes" tabs and one "no" tab were already pulled, it had already been seen by how many -- at least 50 passersby by this time, right? I wonder if this would work in SF or Chicago. I also wonder what the greater purpose of this is, but I hope that it is leading to political organization, and, ultimately, a community garden here. 

This was standing within about a mile of the Sweet Auburn Curb Market, an old-school farmers market that would seemingly supply the needs of this locale with all the produce they may need. The market supplied me with an amazing cup of organic coffee and four even more amazing peaches.

1 comment:

  1. Check this out. Thank you Scott.

    http://www.happyplace.com/3080/the-7-most-brilliantly-pointless-street-fliers

    ReplyDelete