Thursday, July 7, 2011

State of the Onion: Driving our SUVs to Whole Foods

Whole Foods Market, Atlanta, 2011.
I went to Whole Foods on a recent visit to Atlanta. I was venturing to the Atlanta History Center, a must-see for visitors. It was my first time in the city limits, having only passed through the monstrous airport before. 

The city is not entirely pedestrian-friendly. Aside from the crippling heat I experienced (90s in mid-June, which they told me was unusually warm), I found that few take public transit. The MARTA train left me about a one-and-a-half mile walk away from my destination with one bus option that wasn't too great. Anyway, I'm complaining a lot, but it really wasn't so bad. I tend to baby myself in the city.

But I definitely was the only pedestrian approaching the Whole Foods. Upon walking up, I was astounded at the sheer number and dominance of SUVs in the parking lot there. I expect that at Best Buy, but here?

I realize that not everyone who shops here bikes to work, uses public transit, reuses plastic bags, turns the lights off when not in use, composts, etc. etc.... and that I flew here, and that's very wasteful. Many people shop here so they can put fewer pesticides in their bodies, which results in fewer pesticides in the environment. I applaud that, certainly. But I literally was the only person who walked here in the 10 minutes or so that I observed the parking lot dominated by SUVs; that bothered me a bit. And, it was definitely built in a non-public-transit-friendly location.

No comments:

Post a Comment