Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Gas for Sale, Sunset District, 2011.
I just like the way this sign looks. It's designed to be a highway-side beacon advertising gas to drivers by from either direction -- not a dramatically backlit beacon of gas prices. I have taken a few versions of this pic. I first got a picture on my camera phone. Sometimes I do this to remind myself to return somewhere with my real camera to get a real pic. Next, I took a picture on my Pentax Optio point and shoot -- and, that night, lost that camera (which I loved). I nervously let some time pass before finally capturing it with a film camera, the Nikon 8008s that is now my default. I was nervous because I was afraid this sign might disappear. Someone might realize it's using double the lights needed to illuminate it. Somehow, its glory would disappear. 

This concern is so irrational, isn't it? It's a sign. Why would it change? It's probably been here, like this, for years. I am interested to know what things have appealed to other people in this way. What mundane details of the world are special to you, that if they disappeared, you would especially miss? And I don't mean the Statue of Liberty or Half Dome -- I mean the mundane stuff. 

No comments:

Post a Comment