Thursday, September 8, 2011

Self-timer fun on bike

Cross Marin Self-Portrait, 2011.

Believe it or not, I appear in this photograph. I'm the faint ghost of a blur that runs parallel to the path and above it. I really just appear as an off-color smudge across the frame. Using a signpost as a tripod, I set the camera's self-timer to go off after a delay of 15 seconds, then biked away from the camera, and back in the camera's direction for an 8-second exposure. I turned on my bike light for an additional trail, but it didn't really come through. The aperture was all the way down to f22 and light was very low, so with 400 ASA film I was able to get rich colors without much grain. I'm really happy with the color -- so many shades of green. 

This is along the Cross Marin Trail, which is kind of self-explanatory -- it runs across Marin County. Wait, except it doesn't! It's just over 5.3 miles long. Hm, so I don't really get the name. But as is evident when riding it, it is the bed of a former railway parallel to Sawmill Creek. 

I took this two weekends ago, while on a bike camping trip to Samuel P. Taylor State Park, a last biking hurrah before undergoing shoulder surgery last week.

No comments:

Post a Comment