Friday, January 25, 2013

Castro wires, one bird

This is just a b&w picture of a bunch of wires on a post, taken in the morning, then given a "negative" effect. The bird (a robin)'s presence is enhanced in negative. The original (positive) photo is at the bottom of this page. 

Wires on Pole, Castro, Oct 2012 (negative).
 I was struck by the convergence of wires on this post one spring evening last year. I was waiting for a show at the Castro Theater. The line was so long it wrapped around the corner to the sidewalk in front of these houses. I looked up, astonished at these wires, certain everyone else was noticing the same thing. They didn't seem to. I kept it under wraps and returned later, one fall morning. It was my secret for several months. When I returned, it still was just as astounding to me as it was several months prior.

I guess this is what a photographer, or a poet, does -- sees everyday things as extraordinary. That doesn't mean that everyone would think the sheer numbers of wires attached to this pole to be something extraordinary. I'm grateful that it was to me, because it added something unique and personal to my cityscape.

Wires on Pole, Castro, Oct 2012 (positive).







No comments:

Post a Comment