Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Snow-kerchiefs

Another of the photos I took while x-c skiing in Kirkwood last month was the one here. I am not sure my vision will come through to others. To me, these branches being quickly covered by flakes falling in the windless sky resembled ladies at a wedding holding handkerchiefs and weeping out of joy. I thought, as I skied, of ways to extend this metaphor. Were the trees ecstatic at the sight of heavy snow at last? It had been a very dry winter up until now, and the system depends on long periods of snow cover. 

Snow-kerchiefs, Kirkwood CA, 2012.

Two nights ago, I spoke to some skiers who had just returned from Tahoe. They said it had snowed 72 inches in 48 hours where they were, but they were still pretty unimpressed with the warm conditions. They said it was "good spring skiing." This year was probably a rough one for season pass holders. 

No comments:

Post a Comment