Friday, March 9, 2012

There's a Butterfly in there

I enjoyed going through a super-fast roll of 3200 speed B&W film recently. I was told to expect grain. I knew I'd be able to take advantage of low light as well. I decided to shoot things that I might also have shot in color, but to also try to create interesting black and white shots that are more interesting purely because they lack color. 

I think it worked in this one. I shot an orange-and-black West Coast Lady (Vanessa annabella) butterfly here on a seaside daisy. The shot would have been very colorful, and the butterfly would have contrasted distinctly against a purple, green, and yellow background. I think the result is amazing; I hope you agree. 

Click the links above to see these species in "living" color.  To find the butterfly, here's a hint: it's facing to the left and is dead-center in the frame.

Vanessa at Park Scrub, Presidio, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment