Tuesday, December 6, 2011

I miss biking

The best way to get around any city, even the hilliest city in the country (reference needed) is by bicycle, hands down. 

Beachrunner, Fell St., 2011.

Let's go over the benefits.
  • They permit you not to walk (unless on a hike or birding, I generally despise the walk option).
  • They can be faster than cars.
  • They are always faster than buses.
  • If the buses happen to be running faster, they can be taken on buses.
  • They go on roads.
  • They go off roads. 
  • Most of the time, the things that go wrong with them are easy to fix. 
  • No emissions; a smooth and silent ride.
  •  A grease chain ring tattoo on the inner right calf is sexy. 
  • The built-in exercise they give you can make you feel good. 
  • If you don't want to have the exercise benefit, just slow down and you won't: simple as that. Or vice versa.
  • You can put bells and horns on them, and disc brakes. And a kickstand.
  • A cyclist becomes part of a generally helpful and friendly community of other cyclists when on road or trail.
  • ... and more and more. 
I miss biking because since Sept 2, my shoulder surgery date, I've been riding the bus or finding other ways to get to work. A bus trip takes me about 1:15 door-to-door, versus about 35 minutes. Bus riding has its own list of merits, but it also has a long list of faults. The good news is, I only have about a month left until I'm pedaling again.

Pictured is my city cruiser/bar bike.It was a dumpster dive-salvage bike that Ira helped me fix up.   I still owe him lots of beer for that.

1 comment:

  1. Biking again. I rode to work for the first time today and it felt great.

    ReplyDelete