Monday, October 3, 2011

American Eagle 3

Rincon Annex Eagle, San Francisco, 2011.
This Eagle is one of two greeting visitors to the Rincon Annex. This beautiful 1939 building lies a few minute walk from the Embarcadero. Once built as a Post Office Annex (in what is called the last great WPA project), it's now been redeveloped into a mixed-use residential, commercial, and retail complex. 

The building is well known in the city for its mural depicting 29 historical California scenes. They were created by Russian painter Anton Refregier from 1941-48. Also of interest inside the building is a really cool old phone booth (which, of course, no longer has a phone). I thought I'd gotten a pic of that too, but I think I ran out of film. I guess I'll have to go back. Going further inside this building, you'll find a Chinese restaurant and rather enormous -- maybe 8 stories high? -- indoor waterfall. It falls from the center of the atrium and is more of a sculpture than a natural feature. Water falls from a glass lens, suspended like a cloud, mid-atrium. I feel like usually when I find things like this, I arrive on them 10 years after the water has been shut off because peoples' practicality has overwhelmed their appreciation for the need of art. Not so here, thank goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment