Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Blue-eyed grass

Sisyrinchium bellum, Presidio, 2010.
I'm sure there are thousands, if not millions, of photographs of this dazzling plant. Sisyrinchium bellum, aka blue-eyed grass, is such an incredibly photogenic plant. The size of the flower is about that of a nickel. The petals have an electric purple that darkens near the base. This is a low-stature plant of prairies that blooms this time of year (late April to early June). It spends the rest of its year as a bulb underfoot. Despite its name, it's not actually a grass, but more of an iris.

When I took this, I intentionally had a very narrow depth of field. I held my breath when my focus seemed to be in the right place on the flower, because a subtle lean toward or away from the flower would cause the focus to go elsewhere. In this case I think it's the anthers that are in focus at the center of the flower. I think you can also notice pollen grains on the petals.

Another thing I like about this image is the color contrast between the green backdrop behind the left side of the flower. The linear shadow on the right side of the flower is that of a grass blade, which seems about right for this denizen of the prairie.

If you haven't gotten outside to enjoy the spring wildflower show, do it. Take pictures. Watch pollinators at work. Try to learn the names of your favorites. Study their colors, and wonder about these tiny creatures of vast beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment